SYS://ONLINE SIGNAL Forge Stories :: LOG_ACTIVE

Supplemental 2

 --SCRAPED FROM DATASTEM_T020290204233502

 

PARTIAL TRANSCRIPT OF A TELEPHONE INTERVIEW WITH KATE SAMS. SINGLE CHANNEL RECOVERED. SOURCE CHANNEL CORRUPTED.

In between? no, nothing. I remember the accident. Falling, the pain and then nothing until I woke up on the bed of the Forge. As far as I was aware, I'd been unconscious. Waking up surrounded by dozens of extremely confused scientists rather than a handful of doctors was... Unnerving! Finding out I'd been completely rebuilt, coupled with the discovery that I also had a corpse in another part of the building... Those were certainly difficult to come to terms with.

---


Definitely the strangest thing to get used to were the changes to my body. Well, not changes, I hadn't come back with anything... extra but, well, I lost a couple of teeth in my twenties and now they're all back! and my appendix! I've never missed it, obviously, but now I've got one again. And any scars? all gone. I'm a fresh canvas - Oh, yes. My tattoos and piercings, it was pretty heartbreaking to lose those.

---

Well no I don't think it is a "new invention", really. We haven't created anything new. The Forge has been used for years now to rebuild the human body, replace damaged limbs, reprint organs and so on. What we did, really, was accidentally discover another use for it. In a way, I think we've stumbled on a benefit of using the technology incorrectly, perhaps. My pattern just happened to still be in a build state when I died. My pattern had nothing missing to trigger a repair, then suddenly...

---

A soul? I think you could upset a lot of people calling it that. Look, we're getting into realms I'm not comfortable discussing right now. 

---

No. I think it will be a long time before any large scale testing can be performed. This discovery has made a lot of people uncomfortable. On the surface, we have reversed death. The questions that raises are... unending Where do we go when we die? If I came back here instead... Have we closed the door on the afterlife?  

No comments:

Post a Comment